Autism is one of the most prevalent medical conditions in young children today in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease and Control (CDC), approximately 1 in 59 children are diagnosed with autism.
Furthermore, males are three times more likely to develop autism than females. At the age of two, doctors can readily diagnose children with autism. However, direct symptoms of autism can become present in children past four years of age.
Extensive scientific research and coursework have been developed to explore treatment options for autism. Fortunately, steady progress has been made in doing so. In recent years, cannabidiol (CBD) has been linked to autism as a feasible treatment option.
Is CBD oil an effective treatment for autism. For brevity, the answer isn't definitive for every case. This comprehensive guide will explain the effects of CBD on autism symptoms so you can make the judgment for yourself with the help of your family physician.
If you're currently reading this, chances are your child has been diagnosed with autism. However, are you fully updated on your child's condition?
How well do you understand what autism is and how it affects your child? If you're oblivious to the precise medical terminology of autism, continue reading for more information.
Autism is a developmental, medical condition that inhibits a person's ability to interact and communicate with people. Autism is a common childhood disorder, as there are more than 200,000 yearly cases worldwide.
Here are some more details of autism:
● Cure: There is no cure for autism. However, treatment can alleviate the symptoms of the condition.
● Span: Autism is a chronic condition. In some cases, it can last for several years, and in others, it can last for a lifetime.
● Discovery: Symptoms of autism in children can be challenging to observe. A diagnosis by a medical professional is required for proper discovery.
● Tests: Imaging and any other tests aren't needed.
Autism is a neurological disorder, but the scope of the condition can vary on a case-by-case basis. Common symptoms of autism include:
● Difficulty with Communication
● Difficulty with Basic Social Interactions
● Repetitive Behavior
● Obsessive Interests
Unfortunately, many people make the mistake of conducting self-diagnosis on their children because they may exhibit some or all of the above symptoms.
Consequently, their children suffer due to the misdiagnosis and are prescribed unrelated medicine that can worsen their condition. Therefore, it's crucial to receive a medical diagnosis first before reading further.
If this has been achieved, you can move on to the next section.
CBD oil is a phytocannabinoid. Discovered in 1940, CBD oil accounts for up to 40% of the cannabis plant's extract, and it's one of the most prominent parts of the plant.
CBD oil lacks the component tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), so it will never induce a "high." Also, CBD provides the following benefits:
● Natural Pain Reliever: Marijuana has been used to treat pain since the rise of Ancient China in 2900 B.C. It is a proven pain-reliever.
● Potential Antidepressant Effects - It has been reported that CBD oil can reduce both anxiety and depression in humans and animals.
● Cancer Treatment - CBD oil may reduce symptoms of side effects related to cancer treatment, such as pain, nausea, and vomiting.
● Skin Care Treatment - Due to its anti-inflammatory, CBD oil can be used to treat acne.
CBD oil can benefit individuals with heart problems and several other conditions, such as diabetes, substance abuse, and mental disorders.
You may be wondering, 'does CBD oil have any side effects?" Although it's generally considered safe by countless health and science professionals, side effects of CBD oil include:
● Changes in weight and appetite
● Can thin your blog and raise your blood levels depending on your child's medications.
It's important to note that CBD oil can interact harshly with other medications. For medications that come with the "grapefruit warning", it's necessary to consult with your doctor first before use.
This is because both grapefruits and CBD oil prevent essential enzymes from breaking down medications.
CBD Oil may have neuroprotective advantages for its users. CBD may impact your child's endocannabinoid system and possibly provide relief for people who are struggling with medical conditions affecting their neurological system.
Many studies today have discovered a correlation between CBD oil and epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, and Alzheimer's Disease. More recently, scientists have found a possible way CBD can reduce the effects of autism.
Since CBD oil is highly tolerated by health professionals and more affordable than prescription drugs, scientists and even the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) have been willing to sanction experiments to prove its effectiveness in autism treatment.
According to a survey conducted by Gastroenterology & Hepatology, CBD oil was found to be more effective than other alternatives because it has fewer side effects and a higher likelihood of controlling autism.
Why? This is due to recent evidence validating that CBD can gut microbiomes. Evidence of this phenomenon exists in fecal transplants, which are being used today to reduce autism symptoms as well as leverage prebiotic and dietary intervention that is necessary to eliminate antisocial behavior.
With that said, CBD is a drug, unlike any other. Its significant impact on human endocannabinoid systems can prove useful in current methods of treating autism in children.
What's more is that CBD oil has received increased favor from researchers and government agencies alike, and its effectiveness is constantly being monitored to validate its namesake as a viable treatment option for children with autism.
Further good news is that CBD oil doesn't just impact the user's ability to coexist with the disorder, but it also reduces the symptoms of autism.
To learn more about if CBD is an ideal treatment option for your child, it's best to consult with your family physician to receive more information about their exact medical condition before you proceed.
As listed above, CBD does have noticeable side effects that can be harmful to your child. Though, the consequences of the drug may not outweigh the full benefits of CBD. That's because CBD has been proven to massively reduce the effects of autism in children.
Specifically, CBD increases the presence of anandamide, which induces anti-inflammatory effects. CBD has also been proved to increase serotonin signaling, which has been linked in reducing anxiety and the death of brain cells. Interestingly, CBD can help reduce oxidative stress, which is a health condition commonly associated with autism patients. Oxidative stress rapidly eliminates antioxidant serum proteins.
These valuable proteins are vital for developing language skills in children, which means that CBD can feasibly be used to provide stable treatment.
Additionally, The University of California San Diego conducted a clinical trial to test the symptom reduction effects on children with autism. The trial included 30 children with severe autism symptoms. The purpose of this study was to help researchers realize how CBD empowers neural activity and determine if CBD oil effectively reduces any autism symptoms, which include hyperactive behaviors, communicative/social deficiencies, and aggression.
According to reports featured in Scientific Reports, CBD oil led to improvements in the symptoms previously mentioned above. The report mostly showed a reduction in rage attacks and restlessness. As a matter of fact, 20% of the survey's respondents stated that their sleeping issues subsided completely.
Furthermore, the reduction of the symptoms decreased at an average rate of 80%. Quality of life was also assessed in the report, and the number of respondents who reported "satisfactory quality of life" doubled after the treatment was taken.
The study further explains that 25% of the respondents were taking medication and ultimately reduced their dosage due to their success using CBD instead. In conclusion, the researchers found that CBD is an effective means of reducing symptoms of autism and is generally a safe and affordable alternative for families.
As hopeful as the evidence in this article sounds, it's important to realize that all of these studies are simply independent research. The research of CBD oil's effects on autism has a long way to go before it becomes a universally accepted treatment.
Mainly, research is still being conducted to determine the standard dosage of the drug. Cannabis seemingly is more available when its inhaled by the user, but doing so comes with a wide variety of medical consequences.
Because of this, researchers are recommending that CBD is vaporized to reduce the harmful effects of tobacco, nicotine, and smoke. Eventually, more research will be obtained to agree on the precise method of dosage for CBD.
Even with a doctor's endorsement, there are several things you need to be mindful of before trying CBD for your child. Before purchasing CBD oil, make sure you follow these steps:
● Check with your doctor to make sure that your child doesn't have any sensitivities or allergies related to CBD.
● Make sure CBD oil is legal in your state. CBD may not be purchased or consumed in Idaho, Nebraska, and South Dakota.
● Do your own research on manufacturers of CBD oil to ensure that the brand you choose is properly licensed on both state and federal levels. For example, Smilyn is licensed in all states that CBD is legal. You can trust us to provide quality products that are produced according to your state's law.
● Monitor the reputation of the brand you choose. Your child's health is at stake, and online reviews are critical in receiving peace of mind.
● When you visit your doctor, take notes of your child's current condition. Compare these symptoms before and after CBD consumption.
Following these steps are important before you begin using CBD for your child. Again, concrete scientific and medical conclusions haven't been yet reached about CBD. Therefore, there's a chance your child could become an outlier in a positive or negative way.
CBD is available in many dosages and forms. Pure CBD oil has a bitter taste that can be off-putting to children, which is why many parents purchase fruit-flavored chewable gummies instead. Smilyn provides fruit-flavored CBD oil just for children, as well as gummies as another digestible alternative. They also supply top-quality hemp extract in a wide assortment of flavors you can choose from.
It's essential to keep all forms of CBD out of the reach of children. Moreover, CBD oil is highly tolerable in lower doses if you're beginning to use the drug. With the permission of your doctor, you can apply higher doses if necessary.
However, before starting any treatment, it's important that your physician has no concerns. If any small concerns exist about your child's intake, start with a low dosage, and report any changes in their condition.
Likewise, have anyone who works with your child report changes in their condition, as well as alert them that your child is taking a new drug.
Before you make a decision on using CBD oil on your child, you should be mindful of these core facts:
● It's still very unclear about how CBD is absorbed by the human body, so applying dosages can be complicated without the help of a licensed physician.
● It's impossible to know the exact percentage of CBD in your oil product. The exact concentration will depend on the batch you purchase. Our products are manufactured using proprietary technology that makes it possible for you to consume quality CBD without any harmful additives.
● Due to issues surrounding legality, CBD oil products aren't tested in every state. As a result, these products can potentially contain foreign substances and even small traces of THC. Smilyn's products are free of THC, GMOs, and harsh chemicals.
● CBD oil can become highly-reactive to other medications. Consult your doctor first before taking CBD if your child is taking any prescribed medicine.
● Other side effects such as dry mouth and drowsiness may be present in children who regularly consume CBD. If these symptoms become too great, consult your doctor immediately.
There is still a great deal of uncertainty concerning CBD. While there appears to be a trend of research sponsoring the drug as a viable treatment for autism, a definite conclusion hasn't been made about its overall effect on autism patients.
This conclusion will never be reached until a massive clinical study is produced or when autism patients take the drug for themselves. Before considering CBD as an alternative treatment for your child, consult your doctor with the facts you learned from this article.
Your doctor should guide you on the steps of purchasing CBD oil if they decide the drug can alleviate the symptoms of autism in your child.